Thursday

Moms and Movies

One of my favorite things in the whole wide world is a good movie. After spending 6 years working in a movie theatre, I have developed quite the affinity for a quality flick. The smell of popcorn popping calls out to me like an old friend...throw in some junior mints and life could not get much better than that.

But do you know what a popcorn loving, junior mint eating, connoisseur of all things cinematic does? They raise little movie buffs. It is like a disease, we watch movies all the time. Junkies...there should be a program we could join to rid ourselves of this obsession...if it was not such an awesome time to bond with the kiddos. Tonight as we sat down to watch "Unaccompanied Minors" together, I was reminded of a few things.

~ I love the sound of my son's laughter. It is intoxicating. Every time I hear him laughing, one of those deep down belly laughs...it makes my heart smile.

~ That what my kids really want is my time. They want me to hang with them, to take the time to get into their world for a little bit. And if that means watching a movie I was not meaning to watch, then that is what that means. Seems to me that every time I have given up what I wanted to do to invest my time in them, the rewards I reap are worth more than anything I could have imagined.

~ And something new I learned from this particular movie viewing experience...life is all about taking the things that are less than what we want them to be and turning them into something better.

All that being said, my dishes did not get done tonight and there is laundry calling my name, but as I get ready to lay my head down tonight...I will have much satisfaction in knowing that I did exactly what I needed to do...took the time to be who God meant me to be...their mom.

1 comment:

walkers said...

good girl, you let that laundry be. so glad you guys had a good week, see you next week!